Blending the lines between Alternative R&B, Hip Hop, and Indie Pop
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH DUVV
1. What’s your band’s name? Where’d the name come from?
DUVV (pronounced ‘dove’)
2. The Yellow Collar Collective is all about the daily grind musicians go through to perfect their craft, what has been your biggest struggle and accomplishment as a musician?
Well, I started this singing thing in 2013. I had a lot to learn back then and I still have a lot to learn now. One of my struggles has been learning to not let doubt get the best of me. Doubt can be a poisonous thing and it can break down an idea before it even gets the chance to prosper. Some people will also doubt you and that can make you doubt yourself, so I’ve been working on tuning out the noise. Right now as I think of accomplishments, I think of DUVV as a whole. This journey has been an accomplishment in itself. I’ve made it through some difficult times, I’ve learned a lot about myself, and I’ve grown as a person. Taking my happiness more seriously has been an important accomplishment.
3. What other instruments can you and your fellow band members play?
I’m a singer/songwriter. I love instrumentalists/bands though and would love to work with some one day.
4. Why’d you start making music and why specifically did you choose your genre?
I wanted to create something of my own, but I wasn’t sure how to go about that. I started singing as an experiment, but it really grew on me. I really don’t know what genre I am haha. I feel like I weave in and out of different sounds. I could be feeling hip hop vibes one day and then feeling pop the next. It varies, and I’m happy that it does. I didn’t box myself into anything from the jump.
5. Do you have any memorable musical experiences that have shaped who you guys are?
I think performing live has helped shaped me as a singer. It’s still shaping me. I get intimate on stage, and I tend to open up a bit more than usual sometimes. People in the audience learn about me and sometimes relate to what I’m talking about, which is great. I love connecting with people.
6. Have you ever released any albums or are working on any now? Any special projects?
Nope, I’ve never released an album. I released my first EP pillowtalk in 2013.
7. Do you collaborate with other artists? Inside and outside your genre?
8. What venues and events have you performed at in the past five years? Which has been your favorite?
Haha I haven’t even been doing this for 5 years. I have to perform more.
9. How do you acquire shows and promote yourself? Do you have any recommendations for other artists?
I recommend that if you’re an artist, be true to yourself. No copycats.
10. Do you have any mottos?
There is always something to be grateful for.
11. What’s next for your band?
Some cool things. I’m keeping it under wraps though.
12. What do you do when you’re not listening to or making music?
Right now, I’m focusing on taking better care of myself.
13. What’s your favorite song(s) right now?
Ooo um…I don’t know. But I think Kwamie Liv is real cool. She has this song called “Higher”. Anddd “Solace” by FYFE…he’s so great. I could go on with this list so let me chill haha.
Thank you DUVV for taking time to do this interview for all of us!
Check out more of DUVV and her music through the links below!